interview hints & tips
Have you been asked to attend an interview for your dream job and you want to make sure you make a great lasting first impression? Follow our interview hints and tips to help you towards a positive outcome. Keep in mind that the interviewer won’t be assessing just your skills, but also your fit to the organisational culture and future capability.
- Don’t forget your resume!
- Clearly state your interest - be able to describe WHY you want the job
- Be able to describe your strengths and how they will benefit the company
- Prepare something for when you are invited to ask questions
- Dress smart and tidy in line with the company’s dress policy
- Arrive 15-30 minutes early to find parking or if the company is located in an unfamiliar area
- Be polite to the receptionist - their impression counts too
- Take cues from the interviewer e.g. where to sit
- Shake hands firmly (not bonecrushing) and maintain eye contact
- Sit comfortably and alertly - no slouching
- Speak clearly and to the point when answering questions
- Avoid being too familiar, chatty, aggressive or clever
- Don’t say anything negative about a past employer
- Don’t interrupt anyone
Good luck and don't forget to smile!