what is a full stack developer?
Small-scale software applications often rely on front-end and back-end developers for development. However, when a company is creating scalable software, it needs a full stack developer with knowledge of both sides of the software to improve its functionality.
Aside from developing new websites or software, a full stack developer can troubleshoot errors and resolve bugs to ensure the front end and server side work together seamlessly. The overall efficiency of the software is improved by in-depth knowledge at the design stage.full stack developer jobs
average salary of a full stack developer
The average remuneration package for full-stack developers is $80,000 annually. The salary fluctuates based on qualifications and experience levels. Junior-level full stack developers earn a salary of $60,000 per year. The amount increases gradually, and you will likely make over $120,000 per year in senior-level roles.
what factors affect the salary of a full stack developer?
The remuneration package for full stack developers depends on their experience, qualifications and company size. You can negotiate a higher salary when you have substantial capabilities, unlike someone with minimal qualifications. Experience also propels your career and salary prospects. In junior-level positions, you cannot complete complex tasks. However, your skills and expertise grow as you work longer in the role. Your salary also increases due to the transferable skills you bring to the company.
The company size also influences your remuneration package. Working for a small start-up business limits your salary prospects because small companies have limited resources to fund high salaries. Large companies or multinationals offer higher pay because they handle complex projects that require specialised knowledge.
types of full stack developers
Full stack developers work in two categories:
- front-end developers: as a front-end developer, you design and implement the interactive user interface of a web application or page. You create the interface to allow users to interact with or access the web application. You test the websites for functionality to ensure they perform the intended purposes. Your job also involves troubleshooting and removing bugs on the client-facing side to provide a seamless website.
- back-end developers: as a back-end developer, you also design and implement software applications. However, you focus on the back-end or server side. Your job is to write the programming code that keeps the web application running. You develop the instructions or code that helps the website understand user requests from the front-end interface. You are also in charge of the website databases. You ensure the data is stored and maintained for future reference.
working as a full stack developer.
Working as a full stack developer is an exciting career that allows you to work on interesting software applications and troubleshoot websites. Since you complete your tasks online, you can work remotely to resolve issues behind the scenes. Let's explore the duties and specific tasks of full stack developers.
education and skills
You do not need educational qualifications to become a full stack developer if you have exceptional coding skills. However, many employers prefer developers with the following qualifications:
- education: you should complete a relevant qualification in computer science or software development to become a full stack engineer. Some relevant courses include Certificate in information technology (programming) or a diploma in information technology. If you meet the entry requirements for an advanced qualification, complete a bachelor's degree in computer science or IT majoring in software development.
- work experience: ensure you secure an internship while studying to improve your career prospects. Internships give you the relevant work experience needed in full stack development. You can also enhance your expertise with industry-recognised certifications, such as becoming a certified full stack developer.
full stack developer skills and competencies
Aside from technical knowledge, you require soft skills to excel in the role, such as:
- creativity: you rely on creativity to design interactive websites. Creative skills are useful when building front-end aspects of a user interface, which needs to be eye-catching with a user-friendly design. Creative problem-solving also helps you troubleshoot problems in web applications.
- organisation skills: because you juggle the tasks of a front-end and back-end developer, you will have difficulty keeping track of the processes without great organisational skills. Organisation skills help you organise tasks and break down your workload into small projects and achievable milestones.
- research skills: you rely on research techniques to find the ideal tools, templates and software for web development. Research also helps you analyse the best approaches for incorporating client requirements.
FAQs about working as a full stack developer
Here are the most asked questions about working as a full stack developer: