Sounds like a no-brainer right? Wrong. You'd be surprised how many people seem to 'fall' into jobs without first putting some consideration into what would make them happy. Before you rush head first into your job search, take a moment to think about your career aspirations and goals, so that when you apply for roles you can ensure they are the right ones that will help your to achieve your dreams. Try to think about what you want your future to look like - here are some great questions to ask yourself:
- do you want to work in office, a building site or outside in the fresh air?
- do you want to work as a contractor, part time or as a full-time professional?
- what type of businesses would you like to work for - a small company with plenty of room to grow or a large company with financial security?
- how important is location to you - do you want to be close to home, inner-city or are you willing to travel?
- what industry do you want to work - construction & engineering, information technology, government or an industry that is not only new but set to thrive?
- what job title / role do you want to apply for?
Having a clear understanding of what you want will help you to avoid roles that might turn out to be unsuitable in the long run, and it will also help you to articulate to your future employer or recruitment consultant exactly what type of jobs they should be connecting you to.