At Randstad, we often get asked by visitors on a working visa 'how can I get sponsored to work in New Zealand?' Our recommendation would be to first apply for a working holiday visa as it is rare for a newly advertised job to include a sponsorship opportunity right from the beginning of your employment - most employers will want you to work for 3-6 months prior to them sponsoring to ensure you are the best fit for their company. To be eligible to be sponsored by an employer, there are a number of requirements you must meet including (but not limited to) the below:
- only certain skilled occupations are eligible
- you need to be earning over a certain set wage
- need to meet health and English language standards
- your employer must be willing to sponsor you (and must be approved to sponsor you)
- your employer needs to be able to provide evidence of your relevant skills and reasons as to why you are most suitable to the position
Review the Department of Immigration Sponsorship information for an up to date list of all eligibility requirements.